This Cabinet paper and related Cabinet minute have been proactively released by
the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, on behalf of Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister.
Accessible HTML version
Only the Cabinet minute is extracted below in HTML. If you require a full HTML version of this Cabinet decision release please contact email@example.com and cite CAB-19-SUB-0397 as a reference.
Extract from Cabinet Minute CAB-19-MIN-0397 Proposed Overseas Travel: Prime Minister
On 12 August 2019, Cabinet:
1. authorised the absence of the Prime Minister from New Zealand from the morning of Wednesday 14 August 2019 to the evening of Friday 16 August 2019, to travel to Tuvalu, to represent New Zealand at the Pacific Islands Forum Leaders’ Meeting (the PIF);
2. noted that the Minister for Pacific Peoples, Hon Aupito William Sio, will represent New Zealand at the opening of the PIF on Tuesday 13 August 2019;
3. agreed that she be accompanied by two members of staff;
4. approved the estimated expenditure of up to [withheld under section 9(2)(f)(iv)] for the Prime Ministerial party as a charge to Vote: Internal Affairs (Members of the Executive – Travel);
5. noted that she will also be accompanied by officials from the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet and Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, New Zealand Defence Force staff, and Police Protection Service officers, whose travel costs will be met by their respective votes;
6. noted that the host government will assist with some accommodation, hospitality and transport costs;
7. noted that travel to and from Tuvalu will be by RNZAF aircraft;
8. noted that a media contingent from NZ will travel with her;
9. agreed that in her absence:
9.1 Rt Hon Winston Peters act as Prime Minister and Minister for National Security and Intelligence;
9.2 Hon Grant Robertson act as Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage;
9.3 Hon Tracey Martin act as Minister for Child Poverty Reduction.