The National Cyber Policy Office (NCPO) was established in 2012. NCPO leads the development of cyber security policy advice and provides advice to the government on investing in cyber security activities. The NCPO also conducts outreach with the private sector on cyber security policy, and leads New Zealand's international engagement on cyber security policy (with MFAT)
NCPO formally reports to the Minister of Broadcasting, Communications and Digital Media on cyber security policy matters. We do this in consultation with the Prime Minister, as the Minister for National Security and Intelligence, and other Ministers as appropriate.
Refreshing New Zealand's Cyber Security Strategy and Action Plan
The Minister of Broadcasting, Communications and Digital Media announced a refresh of New Zealand’s Cyber Security Strategy and Action Plan on 12 April 2018. The Cabinet paper and Terms of Reference for this work have been released.
New Zealand’s current Cyber Security Strategy, accompanying Action Plan, and a National Plan to Address Cybercrime, were released on 10 December 2015.
The 2015 Strategy signals the Government's commitment to ensuring New Zealand is secure, resilient and prosperous online.
The 2015 Strategy has four principles:
- partnerships are essential
- economic growth is enabled
- national security is upheld
- human rights are protected online.
The 2015 Strategy has four intersecting goals.
The Action Plan contains actions that contribute to delivering the goals of the Strategy. It is reviewed and reported on annually. The first Annual Report was released in March 2017.
Connect Smart is a public-private collaboration focused on the improvement of cyber security outcomes for New Zealand, and the formation of effective cyber security policy. It brings together the private sector, government agencies, academia, and NGOs into a community of best practice. Go to connectsmart.govt.nz to find out more.
- Refresh of New Zealand's Cyber Security Strategy and Action Plan 2018 (Cabinet paper and minute)
- Summary of the New Zealand Cyber Security Strategy 2015
- New Zealand Cyber Security Strategy 2015
- New Zealand Cyber Security Action Plan 2015
- National Plan to Address Cybercrime 2015
- New Zealand Cyber Security Strategy 2011
- Connect Smart cyber security partnership and campaign
- New Zealand's Cyber Security Strategy Action Plan - Annual Report 2017
- CERT NZ
- National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC)