The National Cyber Policy Office (NCPO) was established in 2012. NCPO leads the development of cyber security policy advice and provides advice to the government on investing in cyber security activities. The NCPO also conducts outreach with the private sector on cyber security policy, and leads New Zealand's international engagement on cyber security policy (with MFAT).
NCPO formally reports to the Minister of Broadcasting, Communications and Digital Media on cyber security policy matters. We do this in consultation with the Prime Minister, as the Minister for National Security and Intelligence, and other Ministers as appropriate.
New Zealand's Cyber Security Strategy 2019
Enabling New Zealand to thrive online
Minister of Broadcasting, Communications and Digital Media, Hon Kris Faafoi, released the latest Cyber Security Strategy on 2 July 2019.
Cyber-enabled threats to New Zealand’s security continue to grow in number, scope and scale. The Cyber Security Strategy 2019 outlines the areas where Government will prioritise action and how we will work together with individuals, businesses, and communities to ensure that New Zealand is confident and secure in the digital world.
The refreshed strategy has five priority areas, that build on the previous strategy while reflecting current cyber security challenges:
- Cyber security aware and active citizens
- Strong and capable cyber security workforce and ecosystem
- Internationally active
- Resilient and responsive New Zealand
- Proactively tackle cybercrime.
The strategy has four values:
- Partnerships are crucial
- People are secure and human rights are respected online
- Economic growth is enhanced
- National security is protected.
- New Zealand's Cyber Security Strategy 2019
- Refresh of New Zealand's Cyber Security Strategy: Ensuring New Zealanders are Confident and Secure in the Digital World (November 2018)
- Refresh of New Zealand's Cyber Security Strategy and Action Plan 2018 (Cabinet paper and minute)
- Summary of the New Zealand Cyber Security Strategy 2015
- New Zealand Cyber Security Strategy 2015
- New Zealand Cyber Security Action Plan 2015
- National Plan to Address Cybercrime 2015
- New Zealand Cyber Security Strategy 2011
- New Zealand's Cyber Security Strategy Action Plan - Annual Report 2017
- CERT NZ
- National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC)