The Policy Project was established in 2014 to improve the quality of policy advice across government.
How we work
Our work programme focuses on building a high performing policy system that supports and enables good government decision making. It is co-developed with policy practitioners from across government and championed by the Tier 2 Policy Leaders Network (deputy chief executives with policy responsibilities). The programme is jointly funded by government agencies with significant policy functions.
The Policy Project facilitates the policy community to:
- identify and share good practice
- build collective ownership of the policy system, and a programme of improvement activities
- encourage and facilitate collective approaches to improving performance or policy capability where it makes sense
- co-develop new products, tools and resources to improve the performance of the policy function and quality of policy advice across government.
Reports on the Policy Project
- Policy Project Narrative – the case for change and the original direction of travel for the Policy Project was set out in the 2014 foundation report The Policy Project Narrative and Direction of Travel. (PDF 362 KB)
- Case study – in late 2015, Nehal Davison from the UK Institute for Government wrote a case study assessing the progress and potential of the Policy Project: Lifting the policy game across the system: the case of ‘The Policy Project’. (PDF 1.01 MB)
- New Zealand’s reforms to improve policy making – in October 2016, the UK Institute for Government published an article by Sally Washington, Policy Project Programme Director, updating progress and challenges for the Policy Project.
- Understanding public value - 5 May 2017
- Read more about the roundtable session with Mark Moore here: Understanding public value
- Policy stewardship
- People-centred policy workshops at the Government Economics Network Conference – December 2016
- Read Andrew Kibblewhite's speech here: People-centred policy (PDF 164 KB)
- Read about the workshops here: People-centred policy: through behavioural insights, design thinking and better use of data (PDF 1.07 MB)
- Design thinking roundtable with Professor Jeanne Liedtka – September 2016
- Read more about the session on design thinking with Professor Liedtka
- Prime Minister launches Policy Project frameworks – August 2016
- Read the Prime Minister’s speech here: https://www.beehive.govt.nz/speech/launch-policy-project-frameworks
- Read Andrew Kibblewhite’s speech here: Policy Project Launch Speech (PDF 357 KB)
- Policy Heat Map: Looming and Future Issues - 18 July 2015
- Read about this special session here: Policy heat map
You can find more information on these and other events at the Policy Project news and events page.
Conversations we've had so far about capability and high performing policy agencies
The Policy Project frameworks and tools are informed by co-design workshops held with groups from across the policy community.