The National Cyber Policy Office (NCPO) was established in 2012. NCPO leads the development of cyber security policy advice and provides advice to the government on investing in cyber security activities. The NCPO also conducts outreach with the private sector on cyber security policy, and leads New Zealand's international engagement on cyber security policy (with MFAT)
The Director of the NCPO is Paul Ash.
NCPO formally reports to the Minister of Broadcasting, Communications and Digital Media on cyber security policy matters, in consultation with the Prime Minister, as the Minister for National Security and Intelligence, and other Ministers as appropriate.
Refreshing New Zealand's Cyber Security Strategy and Action Plan
The Minister of Broadcasting, Communications and Digital Media announced a refresh of New Zealand’s Cyber Security Strategy and Action Plan on 12 April 2018. The Cabinet paper and Terms of Reference for this work have been released.
New Zealand’s current Cyber Security Strategy, accompanying Action Plan, and a National Plan to Address Cybercrime, were released on 10 December 2015.
The 2015 Strategy signals the Government's commitment to ensuring New Zealand is secure, resilient and prosperous online.
The 2015 Strategy has four principles:
- partnerships are essential
- economic growth is enabled
- national security is upheld
- human rights are protected online.
The 2015 Strategy has four intersecting goals.
The Action Plan contains actions that contribute to delivering the goals of the Strategy. It is reviewed and reported on annually. The first Annual Report was released in March 2017.
Connect Smart is a Government-led initiative, delivered in partnership with the private and NGO sectors, to raise awareness of cyber security issues and promote ways to protect yourself, your business and others online. Go to connectsmart.govt.nz to find out more.
Proactive Releases on Cyber Policy
- Related information Briefing to the incoming Minister responsible for cyber security policy
- Minister of Broadcasting, Communications and Digital Media - Weekly Reports 25 May to 29 June 2018
- Refresh of New Zealand's Cyber Security Strategy and Action Plan 2018 (Cabinet paper and minute)
- Summary of the New Zealand Cyber Security Strategy 2015
- New Zealand Cyber Security Strategy 2015
- New Zealand Cyber Security Action Plan 2015
- National Plan to Address Cybercrime 2015
- New Zealand Cyber Security Strategy 2011
- Connect Smart cyber security partnership and campaign
- New Zealand's Cyber Security Strategy Action Plan - Annual Report 2017
- CERT NZ
- National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC)