Back to top anchor

Cabinet paper template - Ministerial overseas travel

Issue date: 
Tuesday, 18 December 2018
Issue status: 
Published by: 
Version note: 

This publication is part of the CabGuide.

Cabinet papers on proposed overseas travel and reports on overseas travel are submitted directly to Cabinet, but do not require prior approval to go direct to Cabinet as other submissions do. 

Below are templates for the two kinds of Cabinet travel papers:

  • proposed overseas travel
  • report on overseas travel.



Key requirements of travel papers

A paper seeking approval for overseas travel should:

  • confirm that the Prime Minister has approved the travel in principle
  • state the countries and cities that the Minister or Parliamentary Under-Secretary intends to visit, and the duration of their absence from New Zealand
  • explain the reason for, and the value to New Zealand of the visit (e.g. specific conferences to be attended, or lists of those with whom discussions will be held, and for what reason)
  • set out the composition of the party and whether the Minister is to be accompanied by a spouse or partner, Ministerial staff and/or departmental officials (for officials other than Ministerial staff, details should be given of their designations, departments, the cost of their travel, and the Votes to which the expenditure would be a charge)
  • seek approval, as appropriate, for the inclusion of members of Parliament in the official delegation or of any non-official representatives (and, in the case of non-official representatives, stating that the Minister of Foreign Affairs has approved their inclusion) (see Cabinet Office circular CO (00) 14 Procedures for Including Non-Official Representatives on Official Delegations to International Meetings)
  • provide information on the main cost components (airfares, accomodation etc.), the total estimated cost of the travel, and the Vote(s) to which travel costs will be charged
  • confirm the Acting Minister(s) who will administer the Minister’s portfolios in their absence (there is usually no need to arrange an Acting Minister for Associate Minister or Parliamentary Under-Secretary responsibilities)
  • confirm that the Minister has secured leave from Parliament from the Party Whip if the House of Representatives will be sitting in the time they are away.

Refer to the following pages for more information

Last updated: 
Monday, 5 December 2016

Help us improve DPMC

Your feedback is very important in helping us improve the DPMC website.