Policy agencies need to keep pace with current issues. Stewardship responsibilities mean they also need to invest in capability to meet future challenges.
Agencies need good systems for assuring policy quality, and to have a capable workforce. They need to be adept at engaging with the decision makers they're advising, as well as people likely to be affected by their advice. They need to be customer-centric.
The Policy Capability Framework
You can use the Policy Capability Framework to test your agency's policy capability.
The framework describes the key components of capability and offers ‘lines of inquiry’ and potential indicators to review and build overall organisational capability to produce quality policy advice.
It's one of three improvement frameworks co-designed for and by the policy community to help government agencies improve their policy quality, skills and capability.
The other two frameworks are:
- Policy Skills Framework - describes required policy knowledge, skills and behaviours
- Policy Quality Framework - describes the key characteristics of quality policy advice
All three frameworks are endorsed by the Head of Policy Profession and the Tier 2 Policy Leaders Network.
Tools and resources
A range of tools are available for reviewing your agency's policy capability.
- 1 page discussion starter - use this for an intital conversation about policy capability
- 'Deep dive' policy capability review tool - use this for a detailed review of your policy capability
- 'Deeper dive' policy capability review tool - with maturity ratings - use this for a detailed review of your policy capability and to rate where you're currently at
- Policy capability framework: How it was developed - read about how the Policy Capability framework was developed.
Conversations we’ve had so far about capable and high performing policy agencies
The Policy Project frameworks and tools are informed by co-design workshops held with groups from across the policy community.
- Building policy capability
- Policy forum (leaders)
- Analyst forum
- Policy managers forum
- Read about the Ministry for Culture and Heritage's policy capability journey
Check out our other pages for more information.