On 18 January 2018, Civil Defence Minister Kris Faafoi released a report into how New Zealand responds to natural disasters and emergencies.
The report, the result of a Ministerial review, provides advice to the Minister on the most appropriate operational and legislative mechanisms to support effective responses to natural disasters and other emergencies in New Zealand.
Technical Advisory Group
In June 2017, a Technical Advisory Group was established to carry out the review, and submissions were sought.
The members are:
- Roger Sowry (Chair)
- Benesia Smith MNZM, independent consultant
- Malcolm Alexander, Chief Executive, Local Government New Zealand
- Assistant Commissioner Mike Rusbatch, New Zealand Police
- Deputy National Commander Kerry Gregory, New Zealand Fire Service
- Major General Tim Gall, New Zealand Defence Force
- Sarah Stuart-Black, Director, Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management
Media release: Terms of reference for Civil Defence review released (Beehive website)
- 2 June 2017 - Terms of reference released and submissions sought
- 7 July 2017 - Submissions close
- July 2017 - Opportunity for submissions to be heard
- Late August 2017 - Technical Advisory Group to provide an interim report to Minister of Civil Defence
- January 2018 - Report and submissions published.