This review will provide advice to the Minister of Civil Defence on the most appropriate operational and legislative mechanisms to support effective responses to natural disasters and other emergencies in New Zealand.
Read the related media release by Hon Nathan Guy, Minister of Civil Defence on the Beehive website: Terms of reference for Civil Defence review released (2 June 2017).
Terms of Reference
The terms of reference for the Review is available above in PDF format.
A Technical Advisory Group has been established to carry out the Review.
Who is on the Technical Advisory Group?
The members are:
- Roger Sowry (Chair)
- Benesia Smith MNZM, independent consultant
- Malcolm Alexander, Chief Executive, Local Government New Zealand
- Assistant Commissioner Mike Rusbatch, New Zealand Police
- Deputy National Commander Kerry Gregory, New Zealand Fire Service
- Major General Tim Gall, New Zealand Defence Force
- Sarah Stuart-Black, Director, Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management
Have your say
If you wish to have your say on any of the matters raised in the terms of reference, you can make a submission by filling in the form below and emailing it to us.
Please indicate in your submission if you would like to be heard in support of your submission.
- 2 June 2017 - Terms of reference released and submissions sought
- 7 July 2017 - Submissions close
- July 2017 - Opportunity for submissions to be heard
- Late August 2017 - Technical Advisory Group to provide an interim report to Minister of Civil Defence