All Cabinet and Cabinet committee papers with a security classification of In Confidence, Sensitive or Restricted should be uploaded into CabNet.
CabNet requires users to nominate the type of paper being uploaded at the start of the upload process. The three types are:
- general papers - Policy, legislative and other proposals that are not travel or appointment proposals
- travel papers - proposed travel papers and reports on travel
- appointment papers - proposed appointments.
Do not upload papers with a security classification of Confidential or higher into CabNet in any circumstances. Contact the Cabinet Office (PDF 325 KB) if you have a paper that has a Confidential or higher classification. Note: the Public Sector Intranet (PSI) is only available to public sector agencies.
Follow this link for the Cabinet committee Terms of Reference and membership.
Papers with the endorsements of Budget, Staff, Legally Privileged or Commercial can be uploaded into CabNet. Papers that have been marked with other endorsement/s may not be appropriate for upload into CabNet. Contact a member of your agency Organisation Administration Group, your Ministers’ office, or the Cabinet Office (PDF 325 KB) for further advice. Note: the Public Sector Intranet (PSI) is only available to public sector agencies.
The lodgement deadline for Cabinet and Cabinet committee papers is 10am the Thursday before the meeting.
An email request to seek approval from the Chair to lodge a late paper must be sent before 10:00am on Thursday for all papers that have not been lodged by the lodgement deadline, but which will still need to proceed for timing reasons. Late papers will be considered for the agenda only if there are legitimate and pressing timing reasons.
Process flow and access diagrams
Click on the links below to view diagrams:
Variations to the automatic submission access provided in CabNet
CabNet has been designed to provide group-based access to all Ministers, their offices and agencies with a portfolio interest in a submission at appropriate points in the approval and Cabinet consideration process. The automatic group-based access provided through the CabNet system applies to all submissions in CabNet.
In some circumstances, such as for papers that deal with a highly sensitive matter, it may be appropriate for access to be limited in CabNet. This will be an exception and apply only to papers classified Sensitive or Restricted that are assessed as needing to be handled in this way. If necessary, very highly sensitive papers can be dealt with off CabNet. Such papers are likely to be assessed as requiring a Special Handling Required endorsement. Agencies and Ministers’ offices who consider that a paper should be handled this way should consult the Cabinet Office. For information on what makes a paper sensitive or restricted, see the applying a security classification and endorsement diagram.
- Access on an individual user/small group basis.
- For these types of papers access can be limited to a set of named individuals, or small groups of individuals. Contact the Cabinet Office if you wish to request that a submission be handled in this way. An example of the type of submission that will be handled in this way is a highly sensitive budget proposal. Note: the Public Sector Intranet (PSI) is only available to public sector agencies.
- Off-CabNet submissions.
- Alternatively, for very highly sensitive proposals the Cabinet Office may determine that the paper should be dealt with off-CabNet. Such papers are likely to require a Special Handling Required endorsement.
Using the “Limit access” tickbox to suspend access to only the owning agency
During the upload process in CabNet it is possible for the uploader to limit access to the paper to the Owning Minister’s office(s) by selecting “Limit access”. This function must only be used when access to the paper needs to be limited to individual users, as the function cuts off all agency access to a submission, apart from that of the individual user who uploads the paper and their agency administrator group.
The "Limit access" function locks down access to the following core user groups only:
- Cabinet Office
- Cabinet Committee Ministers (if the paper is lodged for a Cabinet Committee)
- Office of the Prime Minister
- the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet Policy Advisory Group
- the Minister, portfolio, and administrator groups of the Minister lodging the paper
- the Minister groups of any consulted or informed Ministers or agencies (but not Minister portfolio or administrator groups, or agency portfolio groups)
- the individual who uploaded the final draft of the paper, and their agency administrator group.
Restoring standard access to "Limited access" submissions
In line with the principle of CabNet as the repository for all Cabinet material, standard access to each submission should be restored once access to a submission no longer needs to be limited (i.e. an announcement has been made). Standard access means that all consulted and informed agencies will be able to access the submission, not just the lodging agency. Contact Cabinet Office (PDF 325 KB) to restore access to limited submissions. Note: the Public Sector Intranet (PSI) is only available to public sector agencies.