All Cabinet and Cabinet committee papers with a security classification of In Confidence, Sensitive or Restricted should be uploaded into CabNet.
CabNet requires users to nominate the type of paper being uploaded at the start of the upload process. The three types are:
- general papers - Policy, legislative and other proposals that are not travel or appointment proposals
- travel papers - proposed travel papers and reports on travel
- appointment papers - proposed appointments.
Papers with the endorsements of Budget, Staff, Legally Privileged or Commercial can be uploaded into CabNet. Do not upload papers with a security classification of Confidential or higher into CabNet in any circumstances. Contact the Cabinet Office (PDF 325 KB) if you have a paper that has a Confidential or higher classification. Refer to this guidance for more information about security classifications.
Follow this link for a checklist for Ministers’ offices for CabNet papers, and this link for information on how to manage access to a submission, including variations to automatically provisioned access for individual papers.
The lodgement deadline for all Cabinet and Cabinet committee papers is 10am the Thursday before the meeting.
An email request to seek approval from the Chair to lodge a late paper must be sent before 10:00am on Thursday for all papers that have not been lodged by the lodgement deadline, but which will still need to proceed for timing reasons. Late papers will be considered for the agenda only if there are legitimate and pressing timing reasons.
Process flow and access diagrams
Click on the links below to view diagrams:
Refer to the following pages for more information
- CabNet: Ministers' office checklist for uploading Cabinet papers
- Ministerial approval of final draft papers
- CabNet: Uploading Ministerial travel papers
- CabNet: How to upload appointments papers
- CabNet: Uploading attachments to Cabinet papers
- How to lodge late Cabinet papers
- How to withdraw Cabinet papers