PIF Review Findings for DPMC
20 June 2013
The Chief Executive of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, Andrew Kibblewhite, says the Performance Improvement Framework (PIF) review the department has just been through provides some encouraging reassurance as well as areas where extra effort is required.
Mr Kibblewhite says, "I am encouraged by the overall assessment that DPMC operates effectively and that we are highly regarded by our key stakeholders.
"This review has also shown that we need to do some things differently to achieve the state of excellence that we aspire to. That includes confirming a shared purpose, strategy and action programme to better unite staff and business units, and support collective leadership and direction.
Other areas where there are plans for improvement include:
- Consolidating the department’s leadership and coordination of national security and intelligence
- A more proactive and strategic approach to staff development
- Communicating better with the public about key aspects of DPMC’s work
- Improving the measurement of our performance
- Rebuilding organisational resilience to deliver higher performance, and
- Developing our role and key contributions to the Corporate Centre of the State Services.
"Work is well underway in many areas, and in others it is just beginning or about to begin. This review provides a benchmark to check our progress as we seek to improve ourselves and our work," Mr Kibblewhite says.
He also expressed his appreciation for the work of the lead reviewers. A copy of the review is available at www.ssc.govt.nz/pif-reports-announcements.